The National Independent Halaal Trust is an internationally accredited and recognised Halaal Certification Body which was founded as the Independent Halaal Trust (IHT) in 1992. The organization was formed by concerned Ulama (Muslim Scholars), Businessmen, and Muslim consumers who saw the need to establish an independent, professional, progressive, transparent, dynamic and contemporary Halaal Certifying Body that would rise above petty ideological and Islamic political differences.
Through the Grace of the Almighty, this was achieved. The NIHT is now fully representative of Ulama (Islamic Scholars), academics, scientists, businessmen and Muslim consumers from across the Islamic ideological spectrum and is in existence since the year 2000.
National Independent Halaal Trust (NIHT) provides Halaal Auditing and Certification Services to NIHT clients and members, as well as to other companies across the spectrum. The NIHT is dedicated to provide Muslim and Non-Muslim consumers with legitimate and authentic certified products.
NIHT certified Halaal products are exported widely to Muslim majority countries where Halaal certification is mandatory. The organization works closely with different government departments and in their Halaal marketing initiatives.
To be a world recognized Halaal certifying body and to provide a professional service and certified product as stipulated in the Qur’aan and the Sunnah of our beloved Prophet Muhammed (Peace be upon Him).
The NIHT is committed to:
- Providing a workable and professional synergy between Ulema, businesses and Muslim consumer.
- Providing a practical but professional service to the Ummah (Muslim consumer) guaranteeing the Ummah a Halaal end product.
- Providing a professional Halaal Monitoring System on various products and ingredients.
- Providing a better working relationship with other Halaal Certifying Authorities to eradicate confusion and double standards in the Halaal Food Industry culminating a truly National Halaal Certifying Forum.
- Providing a coherent professional response to all Halaal queries and applications.
- Creating a data base and website for all Halaal products and ingredients.
- Taking firm action against establishments that transgress the Shariah.
- Provides employment for approx. 145 personnel to maintain and supervise Non-Muslim Owned (NMO's) establishments that carry the NIHT certification.
- Presently certifiying well over 600 establishments, viz: abattoirs, franchise food outlets, spice work and other businesses.
- Established a full time team of Halaal Auditors countrywide to maintain NIHT Halaal Standards.
- To eradicate insinuations of monetary gains from Halaal certification, the executive of NIHT offer its services gratis (free of charge) to the Trust.
The NIHT have most of the mainstream Ulema from the Darul Ulooms, Sunni Jamiatul Ulema, Sunni Ulema Council, Madressas, Masjids and Islamic Institutes as well as ALL of the Muslim Meat Traders countrywide as affiliates.
The following Bonafides are affiliates to the NIHT:
- Ashrafiya Islamic Institute (DBN)
- Cape Muslim Butchers Assoc. (Trust)
- Darul Uloom Pretoria
- Durban Muslim Meat Traders Assoc.
- Jamia Razvia Masjid & Madressa
- Kimberley Muslim Butchers Assoc.
- Madressa Mohammadiya Qadriya
- Northern Natal Muslim Meat Traders Assoc.
- PMB Muslim Meat Traders Assoc.
- PE & Uitenhage Muslim Meat Traders Assoc.
- Pretoria Sunni Institute
- Pretoria Islamic Educational Centre
- Saaberie Chishty Society
- Sunni Jamiatul Ulama
- Sunni Ulama Council (KZN)
- Sunni Ulama Council (Gauteng)
- Soutul Islam
- Witwatersrand Muslim Butchers Assoc.